Two weeks ago my brother, Jonathan of the blog Deprofundtastic , had a birthday- that’s right; I’m sorry to say that after a decade long relationship with his twenties, they’ve finally parted ways. To ‘celebrate’ his approaching middle age I decided to make him something appropriate of the occasion: a pair of hand stitched dinosaur napkins (and thanks to Mom he got a matching Dinosaur cake!). In truth, Jonathan used to love dinosaurs as a kid so when I saw these patterns I just couldn’t not make these for him.
The inspiration for this project- like so many projects- came from Design Sponge. Seriously, if you are ever feeling stuck and need a quick project check out the DS DIY Page, it will be a little overwhelming at first but after the initial shock you will find something you can make without even having to run to the craft store. One day I was checking out the pinhole artwork pattern and I noticed the artist, Brenna, got her pattern from an online coloring book website! What a great idea, right? It opens up so many pattern options, and as soon as I saw the Dinosaur section I knew what I had to do. I’m not much for paper crafts, so really embroidery was my only option.
For my Dino Dinner Napkins I used two egg shell colored cotton napkins from World Market. As you may have noticed I used metallic thread for the horns, teeth and claws. I would not recommend this to new stitchers, it’s a real pain, and in the process of finishing this project I swore off metallic threads forever (I do every time- they just look so good when you’re done).
The pattern I got here. After printing it out I reduced it to 30% of the original size on a standard copy machine. I cut out the patterns and used dress maker's tracing paper and a regular ink pen to transfer the pattern.
No comments:
Post a Comment