Thursday, February 24, 2011

Egyptian Inspired Napkins



Last Friday was the first day since October that was warm enough to open the windows and doors, and indeed I did just that, spending most of Saturday working on a dress I started two Mays (that’s right, two Mays) ago.  It is finally almost done, just need to tailor it up- but on to other matters: such as February’s craft project: Egypt inspired embroidery patterns.

One of the gifts Sherif and I got for our wedding was a set of dinner napkins made of recycled fibers.   They are very nice, durable, washable napkins- and where I see a bare napkin, I see possibilities.  So I began a series of embroidery designs based on creatures of the Nile (yes my husband, Sherif had something to do with this theme) to go on these napkins.  So far I have a happy Croc, a happy Ibis and a Papyrus plant.  My plan was originally to save this post for spring, when I’d have some good pictures of our mature house Papyrus plant (it is currently wintering at Sherif’s office, where it can stay warm and cats won’t eat it).  However, given the historic happenings in Egypt this month I feel it is only appropriate to give a humble nod of solidarity to the Egyptian People’s efforts.  Also, I should note while the subjects of the patterns are inspired by Egypt’s wildlife and flora, the style is decidedly not Egyptian.  I do enjoy the iconic ancient Egyptian style but I am simply not good enough at it yet- but it is my hope to come up with a pattern soon...
This project requires a basic knowledge of embroidery, but like most embroidery projects is extremely forgiving.  There are some excellent tutorials out there about embroidery and needlework.  I’d have to say my favorite go-to site for needlework is Sublime Stitching (not to mention the many great patterns you’d never even thought about committing to stitch before).  The only stitches I used for this project were back stitch and French knot.

A word on the papyrus napkin pictured: I free handed this one based on a "live" model, so I do not have a pattern for it.  However, for a design composed entirely of green lines it is quite pretty and easy to do, I highly advise looking up a picture of a papyrus plant and making your own pattern.

Check out the patterns here. 

Pattern Transfer:  You have a lot of options when it comes to transferring patterns.  Again, I recommend Sublime Stitching for a tutorial on transferring if you’re not already familiar with it. 
For quick and easy transfer option I outline the pattern first with a disappearing ink pen,
then I draw in the details by hand
For a quick and dirty transfer here is what I do:
  •  Position the pattern on the fabric (fold the fabric as you want it to look when finalized- NOT in a hoop) and either secure it with a pin, tape, or hold it in place with your free hand
  • Trace the outside of the design with a disappearing ink pen
  •  Remove the pattern from the cloth and trace over the outline, making the lines darker and adjusting the design to your personal preference (for example, making the bill of the Ibis longer or more curved, etc)
  • Then using the pattern as a reference fill in all the details by hand using your disappearing ink pen, adding and adjusting the pattern as you see fit, like adding more water and vegetation around the Ibis' legs, or adding a little bird perched on the Croc's tummy (this is my favorite part!)
However, you can always use a stylus and tracing paper if you want to be extra careful.
Napkin with pattern transferred on, ready to be stitched!
Once the design is on the fabric pop the napkin in the hoop, load up your needle and start stitching!  Disappearing ink will last for a few days.  I will often go over the pattern again with the disappearing ink pen every few days if I am not able to finish a pattern in one sitting.

The finished napkin with pattern on top
***Jonathan was sick last week, so all of the photos in this post were taken by me (you can tell, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment